Help Wanted: Fedora.next schedule estimation

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 17:44:57 UTC 2014

tl;dr: FESCo needs to know what is going to need extra time to deliver
Fedora.next in the Fedora 21 cycle.

Now that the Fedora.next product PRDs have been approved, the next
phase is to plan our execution. First of all, this will mean planning
out how to deliver Fedora 21.

In order to accurately scope the Fedora 21 effort, FESCo needs input
from the working groups and the community at large to identify the
major efforts that we will need to account for during this cycle. We
would like to operate under the expectation that we can deliver at
least a first pass at all three of these Products in the Fedora 21
timeframe.

In the previous round of discussion, we agreed that we would have a
F21 release no sooner than August, to guarantee at least that amount
of time for QA and Rel Eng projects. Now it's time to fill in the
details and make the timeline specific.

The goal here is for us to prepare a list of significant material
changes to existing Fedora Project processes in order to deliver this
first pass of Fedora.next products. (If you shouted "Bingo!" while
reading that sentence, I don't blame you). To define this more
clearly, we need to identify what portions of the Fedora community
will need more time than usual to build out tooling or simply execute
more manual steps in order to deliver on three products as opposed to
our more traditional methods. We're not just looking for "we will need
moar testing time!" here. We want specific information and ideally
novel ways to minimize such additional efforts.

For example, if someone told us that QA would have to spend three
times as much effort to validate three Products, we would also want to
hear statements about how much of that work is duplicated and
theoretically automateable. Then we would also want to know how much
additional time would be needed to do that automation in this cycle
(thereby saving much more time in future cycles). FESCo is amenable to
extending the Fedora 21 schedule (within reason) to simplify life in
the future.

As a non-exhaustive list of example things we expect will need
attention and would like input (particularly time-estimates) on:

 * Quality Assurance: Coverage increases and automation such as
   Task-o-Tron[1]
 * Release Engineering: Re-tooling and automation.
 * Documentation Team: Impact on creating documentation for three
   products.
 * Ambassadors: How do we market these new products and do we need to
   account for time to deliver marketing materials?
 * Websites Team: What sort of redesign work will we need to go through?
 * Working Groups: How long to deliver new technologies?
 * Marketing: What to distribute to folks at conferences, how to convey
   fedora.next to our users.
 * Translators: Need to be kept in the loop on any new stuff added that
   requires translations.
 * Infrastructure: applications changes to meet fedora.next needs or new
   applications development to help do so. (bodhi changes, etc)
 * Design: consider logos and other needs of products and what it might
   take to make them happen.

These are just a few examples. We expect there to be plenty of other
cases that need to be addressed, which is why we would like to hear
them as soon as possible. FESCo will be attempting to determine a
Fedora 21 schedule in the near future and would prefer not to make
this decision in ignorance.

We do not have a formal process in place for organizing such planning
efforts, but as a provisional one, we'd like to take the following steps:

 1. Product working groups report on changes they want
 2. Other groups also note similar changes they want to see
 3. Discussion about what can realistically be done this time around
    with various stakeholders (including the list above)
 4. Negotiation of how that will affect the product release plans for
    f21
 5. FESCo will create and publish the schedule

PRDs, Discussion Lists and Freenode IRC Channels:

Fedora Cloud:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_PRD
    cloud at lists.fedoraproject.org
    #fedora-cloud