F22 System Wide Change: GCC5

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 11:53:18 UTC 2015

= Proposed System Wide Change: GCC5 =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GCC5

Change owner(s):  Jakub JelĂ­nek <jakub at redhat.com>

Switch GCC in Fedora 22 to 5.x.y, rebuild all packages with it.

== Detailed Description ==
GCC 5 is currently in stage3, but in 3 days will move to stage4, in prerelease
state with only regression bugfixes and documentation fixes allowed. The release
will happen probably in the first half of April. We are working on scratch gcc
rpms and will perform a test mass rebuild. Other distributions have performed
test mass rebuilds already.

== Scope ==
All packages should be rebuilt with the new gcc once it hits f22.

* Proposal owners: Build gcc in f22, rebuild packages that have direct
dependencies on exact gcc version (libtool, llvm, gcc-python-plugin).

* Other developers: First few days/weeks just voluntary rebuilds using the new
system gcc, if things fail, look at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-5/porting_to.html
and fix bugs in packages or, if there is a gcc bug or suspected gcc bug,
analyze and report.

* Release engineering: Organize a mass rebuild
* Policies and guidelines: No policies need to be changed

== Contingency Plan ==
If bugs are discovered, I'd appreciate help from the package owners in
preparing self-contained testcases to speed up analysis and fixing the bugs.
Don't have time to debug issues in 12000+ packages, especially when in many
cases it could be caused by undefined code in the packages etc. I don't expect
we'll have to fall back to the older gcc, we've never had to do it in the
past, but worst case we can mass rebuild everything with older gcc again.

* Contingency mechanism: Revert to older gcc, mass rebuild everything again
* Contingency deadline: Before release
* Blocks release? Yes
* Blocks product? No