F23 Self Contained Change: System Firmware Updates
jkurik at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 09:26:41 UTC 2015
= Proposed Self Contained Change: System Firmware Updates =
* Peter Jones <pjones at fedoraproject dot org>
* Richard Hughes <richard at hughsie dot com>
This change is to add the ability to perform firmware updates on UEFI machines.
== Detailed Description ==
This adds the ability to perform updates of system firmware, as well as some peripheral firmware, on machines supporting the UEFI Capsule Update mechanism and UEFI 2.5's "ESRT" feature.
Right now this is generic support—the number of machines for which we actually have firmware updates available is very small, as the underlying technology is quite new—and it doesn't include any actual delivery mechanism for such firmware images. But if they're put at the right place for fwupd to notice them, and the system supports the right features, they'll show up as updates in gnome-software.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Get fwupdate, fwupd, and a version of gnome-software that can use them into Fedora, maintain it in the future.
* Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
More information about the devel-announce