F24 System Wide Change: NetworkManager 1.2

Jan Kurik jkurik at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 10:51:32 UTC 2015

= Proposed System Wide Change: NetworkManager 1.2  =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NetworkManager12

Change owner(s):
* Lubomir Rintel < lkundrak AT v3 DOT sk >

Update to NetworkManager to version 1.2

== Detailed Description ==
NetworkManager 1.2 will include significant changes and improvements:
* Port to GDBus
* New libnma library for GUIs
* New VPN services plugin API
* Support for multiple VPN connections with a single plugin
* VPN plugins ported to libnm & libnma
* CLI secret agent with support for VPN secrets
* Capability of editing VPN connections via the TUI interface
* Support for arbitrary software device (bond, bridge, vlan, team) hierarchy
* Support for managing container (LXC, Docker) connectivity
* RFC7217 stable privacy addressing
* CLI improvements, colors, significantly better command completion

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Update NetworkManager, connection editor and VPN
plugin packages.
* Other developers: We'll take care of porting the VPN property
plugins; the VPN plugin package maintainers should pull in the patches
or new upstream releases. The libnm-glib and libnm-gtk users (network
management tools in various desktop environments should port their
tools to libnm and libnma; but we're keeping the old libraries as
well.
* Release engineering: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)

--
Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager