Release blocking deliverables for Fedora 23

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 2 22:50:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-02 at 21:18 +0200, Jan Kurik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the past there was an issue with identification of deliverables
> which block a Fedora release. We were dealing with this issue
> specifically during Go/No-go meetings which is quite late for this
> kind of decisions.
> To solve this issue FESCo has started an activity [1] to identify
> these deliverables in advance. The list of blocking (as well as some
> non-blocking) deliverables for Fedora 23 is currently available on
> Wiki page [2].
>
> You might want to check the list [2] to make sure we have all the
> blocking deliverables tracked. If you find anything what might not be
> correct from your point of view, please let me know, so we can
> discuss
> it. Thanks for your cooperation.
>
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1427
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Program_Management/ReleaseB
> locking/Fedora23

It doesn't seem entirely clear if the page is intended to be a list of
all deliverables (which also notes whether each one is release
blocking), or whether it's just intended to be a list of release
blocking deliverables only. On the one hand, the page name has
'ReleaseBlocking' on it. On the other hand, the title is "List of
Fedora 23 release deliverables". On the other other hand, the page
lists several non-blocking deliverables. On the other other other
hand, it's missing many more. See the end of this mail for a list of
all (I think) media on the mirrors for F22 Beta TC1 (this list will be
missing non-mirrored media like AMIs).

I'm surprised the Cloud AMIs are not listed. The various Atomic and
Docker images are not listed either as blocking or non-blocking; is
their status decided?

I've been trying to refer to the 'DVD' as 'offline' lately, since
calling it 'the DVD' is a bit of a misnomer when most of the time it
gets written to a USB stick. But it's not a big deal.

There is, to my knowledge, no "Xfce Live Image (arm)", exactly. ARM
disk images are not the same thing as live images. To my knowledge the
two release-blocking media for ARM are the armhfp minimal disk image
and the armhfp Xfce disk image.

There is something of a 'jurisdiction overlap' here, as the release
criteria already define some release blocking deliverables:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Release_criteria_preamble

"The term release-blocking images means all the images in which
bugs are currently considered capable of blocking a Fedora release.
The
current set of release-blocking images includes the images defined by
the three primary Products - Server, Workstation and Cloud - in their
product requirement documents and/or technical specifications, and the
KDE live image."

We should probably clarify whether we intend the new page to be the
canonical reference, in which case the criteria should be updated, or
if the new page is just kind of an informational listing and the
release criteria still define the policy.

Having this page in fairly haphazardly-formatted human-readable text
seems a bit clunky. I think it might be nicer to have it in some
standardized format (json or yaml or something) and generate a human-
readable version from that. Of course, someone would have to do it.

As a side note, the criteria definition is notably missing the
blocking ARM images, if that remains the 'canonical' reference we
should fix it.

Here is the list of all the images in F23 Beta TC1, according to
fedfind (the name is fedfind's 'image.desc' property):

workstation live image for i386
workstation netinst image for i386
workstation boot image for i386
workstation live image for x86_64
workstation netinst image for x86_64
workstation boot image for x86_64
server dvd image for i386
server netinst image for i386
server boot image for i386
server dvd image for x86_64
server netinst image for x86_64
server boot image for x86_64
cloud netinst image for i386
cloud boot image for i386
cloud netinst image for x86_64
cloud boot image for x86_64
cloud cloud_atomic image for x86_64
cloud cloud_atomic image for x86_64
cloud atomic disk qcow image for x86_64
cloud atomic disk image for x86_64
cloud atomic vagrant libvirt image for x86_64
cloud atomic vagrant virtualbox image for x86_64
cloud base vagrant libvirt image for x86_64
cloud base vagrant virtualbox image for x86_64
kde live image for i386
kde live image for x86_64
xfce live image for i386
xfce live image for x86_64