F24 System Wide Change: Python 3.5

Jan Kurik jkurik at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 12:24:29 UTC 2015

= Proposed System Wide Change: Python 3.5 =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/python3.5

Change owner(s):
* Robert Kuska <rkuska at redhat dot com>
* Matej Stuchlik <mstuchli at redhat dot com>

Update the Python 3 stack in Fedora from Python 3.4 to Python 3.5.

== Detailed Description ==
Python 3.5 adds numerous features and optimizations. See the upstream
notes at What's new in 3.5.

== Scope ==
As Python3.5 was already released as a final release and Debian had
already updated their Python to v3.5 we could expect all the core
(most used) Python modules to be already Python3.5 compatible.
There is 973 packages that (Build)Requires python3 (in F24). Also it
is important to note that Python3 is now the default interpreter for
Fedora therefore it is crucial part of the distribution (anaconda and
dnf run on Python).

* Proposal owners:
** Make a request to create a f24-python3 side-tag for Python3.5 rebuild.
** Rebuild gdb without python3 support to have minimal buildroot
python3 free as we can't have (currently) simultaneously installed
both Python3.4 and Python3.5 versions within the buildroot.
** Build Python3.5.
** Rebuild gdb and all the packages marked as core within this tag. We
consider all packages shipped by default (and their dependencies) on
Fedora DVD to be core packages.
** Rebuild rest of the packages in mass rebuild

* Other developers:
Owners of packages that fail to rebuild will be asked using bugzilla
to fix or remove their packages from the distribution. They can
rebuild their packages themselves if interested using fedpkg build
--target f24-python3. We will keep the list of rebuilt
packages/packages in queue publicly accessible.

* Release engineering:
Mass rebuild rest of the packages.

* Policies and guidelines:
None