including gnome 2.4 in next red hat release

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 4 14:29:23 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 14:15, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Hi
>
> As you know, Gnome 2.4 final should be available on september 10, 5 days
> before last
> rhl-beta release. There has been a lot of work on HIGification and
> usability.
>
> gnome 2.3 bugs:
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/gnome-23-report.html
> If red hat developers are able to dedicate some time on crasher bugs, it
> will help on making it stable faster.
>
> Please consider including gnome 2.4 in next Red Hat release. It doesn't
> bring major new features, but it's more polished.

We are quite aware of Gnome 2.3, given that several of us are
maintainers of core Gnome modules. This also means we are aware of the
schedules involved. However, Red Hat Linux is on a time-based schedule,
and it was clear long ago that Gnome 2.4 would be released too late to
be in the current release.

Luckily, both Gnome and Red Hat are using a time-based schedule with a
pretty fast turnaround (both about 6 months). This means that even if
the schedule of the two projects will not always be synchronized it will
never take that long before the latest Gnome release will get into a Red
Hat release.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a hate-fuelled amnesiac messiah in a wheelchair. She's a foxy
hypochondriac schoolgirl who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!