including gnome 2.4 in next red hat release

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Mon Aug 4 19:11:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 21:02, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> 6 months *worst case* delay, *if* both GNOME and Red Hat stick to
> time-based releases. If either GNOME or Red Hat starts delaying for
> specific features - such as "the latest GNOME version" - the worst
> case for missing any specific feature becomes much worse. Suddenly
> it's possible to have needless 2 year delays.

Well, if we can't afford some delay, release
RHL<whatever-version-numer-it-will-be> with Gnome 2.2 and once Gnome 2.4
is ready, launch a Service Pack or Add-on that will upgrade from 2.2 to
2.4. This will be easier for novice users. Instead of connecting to RHN
to download updates, or even worse, manually downloading the updates,
you download the Add-on, run it, and then, Gnome is automagically
updated.

A single, small ISO image with an Autorun-like feature for automated
upgrading would suffice, I think.