including gnome 2.4 in next red hat release

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Aug 4 21:33:07 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:29:23PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Luckily, both Gnome and Red Hat are using a time-based schedule with a
> pretty fast turnaround (both about 6 months). This means that even if
> the schedule of the two projects will not always be synchronized it will
> never take that long before the latest Gnome release will get into a Red
> Hat release.

One of the things that we have mentioned before is that we expect
Cambridge++ (i.e. the next release cycle) to be based on the 2.6
kernel, and that we want to do a particularly short cycle in order
to have a 2.6-based release out there ASAP.  The initial impressions
of the 2.6.0-test kernels are much better than 2.4.0-test kernels,
so the cycle could be quite short.  As the long discussions on
rhl-beta-list about testing Arjan's 2.6.0-test kernels and other
home-built 2.6.0-test kernels have indicated, some of the necessary
testing is already going on.

So Cambridge++ could debut Gnome 2.4 as well and it would show up in
Cambridge++ betas soon after Cambridge.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/