including gnome 2.4 in next red hat release

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Aug 4 22:09:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:54:10PM -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 16:33, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
>
> > So Cambridge++ could debut Gnome 2.4 as well and it would show up in
> > Cambridge++ betas soon after Cambridge.
>
> Either I'm misunderstanding what your saying, or you've got the naming
> scheme wrong or you misunderstand.

I think *you* have the naming scheme wrong.  Consider my email address
and then think about whether it is likely that I've got the naming scheme
wildly wrong.  :-)

> Cambridge++ is what is currently beta testing as this moment in time.

No, Cambridge is what is currently beta testing at this moment in time,
not Cambridge++.

> After the official release, Cambridge won't exist unless it's referred
> to by name still for bug fixes and updates.  Other than that, the next
> beta cycle will have a new name internally, as well as publically
> (unless they change things a bit).

Cambridge is the overall release name; the code name for the beta
of Cambridge is Severn, and the code name for the final release of
Cambridge has not yet been assigned.  Cambridge exists now in beta
form.  When it is released, Cambridge will release in final form,
but instead of being called Severn will be called something else.
For now, we can call Cambridge final "Severn++".  "Cambridge" under
Red Hat's previous code of secrecy would have been a secret name
which in theory would be divulged only under NDA, but in practice
was often leaked.

Cambridge++ is a placeholder for the not-yet-assigned release name
for the release following Cambridge.  Its betas and final release
have also not yet been assigned code names.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/