getting new driver into kernel, boot.iso

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 16:01:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:01:23AM -0400, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

 > I find it interesting that the name of the patch isn't actually a link;
 > in my quick perusal it wasn't even clear that it's available...  I also
 > find it interesting that it is listed as a >.5MB patch against 2.4.21;
 > that's not small or easy to verify/review, even if you actually can get at
 > the source, which it isn't clear from the page describing it:
 > http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin_2.4.21.htm

(click the disk icon 8-)
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/zip/linux/sk98lin_2.4.21_patch.gz

>From a quick skim of the code, it seems largely made up of gratuitous
whitespace changes, which makes it hard to see the real changes.

Lots of changing comments from..

	/* foo */

	/*
	** foo
	*/

Seems someone got a new text editor with macros for xmas..

Lots of hard coded values changed to #defines - a good thing.
Some new cards supported - also a good thing.

That aside ISTR someone mentioning that this update backs out
some stuff that has been fixed in mainline since they last did a push,
so that needs fixing, as do the memory leaks they introduce in their
ioctls. They may also be other problems, but thats all I picked up
from a quick 2 minute skim of the diff.

Fishing out the good bits of the patch is a worthwhile thing for
someone to do, but its not a 10 minute job.

		Dave