GNOME 2.4 in Cambridge

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 8 21:52:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:
>
> > > It is if you enable TCP CORBA connections between the two machines,
> > > or somewhat more dangerously if you use GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS=1
> >
> > How does one do these? I assume the second is an env variable, but
> > what's the first?
>
> echo ORBIIOPIPv4=1 > ~/.orbitrc
>
> Can also be done per-machine using /etc/orbitrc. IPv6 should also work, if
> that's your piece of cake.

Hmm, when I try that, either .orbitrc or /etc, when I start GNOME I get:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in."

This is on rawhide

later,
chris