acpi confusion

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Aug 9 23:07:50 UTC 2003

Hi all,
 So I have an ibm x23 laptop. nothing terribly fancy. With severn I
noticed that the sound played far too slowly. Meaning - when I played an
ogg it sounded like it was being played at the wrong speed if it were a
record.

So I filed a bug about it b/c the sound worked under rhl 9 just fine.
The suggestion was to disable acpi and see if that fixed it.

it did. the sound works as expected now. However, the laptop runs a lot
hotter than it used to.

So I was wondering if someone could explain the acpi stuff in more
details. It was proposed to me by someone on #rhl-devel that maybe
someone here could give an uncensored summary of the acpi stuff in the
kernel and it's relative stability level, etc.

Thanks
-sv