acpi confusion, redux

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sun Aug 10 01:23:52 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 21:06, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 21:03, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 20:54, seth vidal wrote:
> > > So if the release notes are accurate then acpi is only on for device
> > > enumeration, hence my problems. That must mean that the heat was either
> > > 1. coincidental
> > > 2. all in my head
> > > 3. something very bizarre.
> >
> > no, the heat is there because your laptop requires acpi power management
> > - no power management, the laptop gets hots, and the battery life is
> > very short.  the laptop may even suffer permanent, severe damage if it
> > runs too long without power management.
> >

> It seems like apm is on for power mgmt.
>
> when I cat /proc/apm it's there.

hmm, weird - i looked up your laptop (thinkpad x23, yes?) and I read
it's only ACPI - perhaps the site I read was simply wrong.  are you sure
APM is actually working (i.e., it sees your battery, is handling
throttling/power-control, etc.) ?

also, did using acpi=off fix your sound card issue?

> I got the part about acpi only being on for device enumeration from the
> red hat release notes for severn.
>
> -sv
>

> --
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.