recent redhat-artwork/Bluecurve updates (w/ screenshots)

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 18:32:45 UTC 2003

Klaasjan Brand wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 22:49, Owen Taylor wrote:
>

>><IANAA caveat>
>>
>>I'm a little concerend by the visually smaller window buttons. I think
>>it's likely that people will think they have to click inside the small
>>button. Which makes it a harder, more precision operation.
>>
>>The new icons and color schemes look nice.
>>

>I'm no user interface authority either, but that was exactly my first
>concern when I saw that.

The difference in size is only by a pixel (on all sides). They are inset
by two, but the buttons have a 1-pixel clickable area on the outside of
each. The reason why there are two pixels from the border to the button
is because it looks bad otherwise.

Bluecurve's new buttons do look more like buttons now, a bit more
consistent with the rest of the Bluecurve widget themes (with the
exception of being slightly rounded). I have been thinking about
changing things in the widget theme also, but that requires a bit of
code modification, so it's not as easy to do.

I know that the buttons in question are actually quite larger than the
ones on Mac OS X, especially when you consider the utility palettes
(which also have no title because the "title" bar is so small). Also,
the size of the window decoration buttons, as pictured in the screen
shots, is approximately the same as scrollbar buttons, and I haven't
seen a single person complain about the inability to click those.

In addition, the whole title bar scales depending on the font size.

>I'm also not totally impressed by the menu
>fonts, but since that's a preference it's no problem.

Actually, I did not change the default font preferences. The ones in the
screen shots are set by my preference. They're the Bitstream fonts from
the GNOME project, set a little smaller than most people typically would
have their fonts.

Garrett