up2date for testing (with apt/yum/dir repo support)

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Wed Aug 13 18:37:12 UTC 2003

> > Must one register with redhat to use up2date against a local repo?
> >
> 	Yes. At the moment at least, though I don't have any
> plans to change that at this point.

fair enough.

> > One problem i had was caused by an old systemid file from the 7.3 era.
> > No matter what i typed i got the error shown below.  It would be nice
> > if rhn_register had a --force option or even better ask if it should
> > ignore or use the the current systemid file.
> >
> 	`up2date --register` or `rhn_register --register` will
> "force" a reregister.

Isn't rhn_register --register a bit redundant? ;o)

Anyway after restoring the _old_ systemid file the problem still existed:

# up2date --register
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 25, in ?
    from up2date_client import repoDirector
  File "repoDirector.py", line 12, in ?
  File "rhnChannel.py", line 128, in getChannels
  File "up2dateAuth.py", line 150, in getLoginInfo
  File "up2dateAuth.py", line 104, in login
  File "up2dateAuth.py", line 60, in maybeUpdateVersion
up2date_client.up2dateErrors.CommunicationError: Error communicating with server. The message was:

Error Message:
    Please run rhn_register (or up2date --register on Red Hat Linux 8.0)
as root on this client
Error Class Code: 9
Error Class Info: Invalid Server Certificate.
Explanation:
     An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
     persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
     If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
     details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
     details on how to reproduce this problem.

Thanks for the reply Adrian,
Sean