recent redhat-artwork/Bluecurve updates (w/ screenshots)

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Aug 13 21:12:59 UTC 2003

Very nice.
I think the shades of green of bluecurve-lime have been very well balanced.
The other color schemes are nice as well, but the lime is clearly my favorite.

As for the window buttons, I have to say I prefer them this new way.  Although
the old way, of using the entire bar, may have looked bigger, but I always
found myself clicking on the line, or X within the button anyway.

I think the icons look very good, though I should have looked closer at them
before installing, so I could have compared them better.

What to critique or make better?  Well, I'll wait until you get the KDE
section done before I do that, as I'm much more familier with KDE.

I just wanted to let you know I thought things looked good.

Troy Dawson

Garrett LeSage wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have recently posted a few new screenshots which demonstrate some of
> the latest updates in the "redhat-artwork" package.
>
> You can see screenshots at the following URLs:
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/screenshots/bluecurve_nextgen-preview.png
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/screenshots/bluecurve_nextgen-preview-slate.png
>
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/screenshots/bluecurve_nextgen-preview-purple.png
>
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/screenshots/bluecurve_nextgen-preview-orange.png
>
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/screenshots/bluecurve_nextgen-preview-green.png
>
> http://people.redhat.com/glesage/screenshots/bluecurve_nextgen-preview-gnome.png
>

> You can get the most recent version in Rawhide or out of CVS. As of this
> writing, the current Rawhide URL for redhat-artwork is:
> http://rawhide.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/redhat-artwork-0.78-1.i386.rpm
>

> Brief overview of a few changes since the Red Hat Linux 9 time frame:
>
> Icons
> =====
>
>    * Reworked the entire icon set, now generated by XML configs and
>      icon sheets
>    * Multiple icon sizes are now available (not fully complete yet)
>    * All icons are now pixel optimized per size
>    * New mimetype file icons
>    * Updated stock icons
>    * Initial support for KDE stock icons (actions) now available (size
>      issues need to be sorted out, so it's not working quite yet)
>    * Gnome panel icons are 36x36 instead of 24x24 (for the time being,
>      at least...)
>

> Window Decorations
> ================
>
>    * Window frame decorations have a new style
>    * Metacity theme implemented
>    * KDE's KWin theme needs to be updated still
>

> Widgets
> =======
>
>    * A few tweaks for the GTK+ theme configuration.
>    * Additional color schemes are now available for Bluecurve
>
> Access these additional themes by selecting "desktop menu > preferences
>  > theme" from the panel, hitting the "Details..." button, and in the
> "Controls" tab, select "Bluecurve-Slate" or some other Bluecurve color
> scheme.
>
> Of course, there is still work to be done. Please file bugs, help out,
> and/or provide feedback on the package.
>
> Thanks,
> Garrett

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group