recent redhat-artwork/Bluecurve updates (w/ screenshots)

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 15:40:36 UTC 2003

Mike Chambers wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 05:31, Cosmin Hanulescu wrote:
>

>>I did update my RHEL 3 Beta WS with the redhat-artwork package from
>>rawhide. I don't seem to be able to find where I can tell to the "foot"
>>menu to show small icons... Along with that, I notice that there are
>>some icons which are somehow blurred, while others have a good looking
>>sharpness. Has anyone noticed these differences?
>>

>Same problem here on same type system.  The icons are bigger, therefore
>the menu is bigger/longer and no where near as small as it was.  Is
>there a way to fix that besides hat/preferences/fonts?

Edit /usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and change the top line:

        gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=36,36"
        gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=24,24"

...and you should have the smaller versions of the icons. Because the
color versions inherit from the main Bluecurve theme file, the icons
should change no matter which version of the Bluecurve theme you run.

You will probably have to restart the panel after making the change,
however. Hitting Alt-F2 and typing "killall gnome-panel" should do the
trick.

As it stands, there are a few issues with having larger icons in the
panel (some related to the way GTK+ and the panel are currently not
picking up the multiple sizes, another is that the panel menu is quite
large on the top-level).

I figured that it made sense to have the larger icons for the time being
so that some of the icon sizing stuff might get sorted out. I will
probably switch back the icons to the smaller size regardless -- it
depends on what makes the most sense, though.

Garrett