bug fixes/patches and developer round-trip time

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 14:36:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:24:55PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> This is something that needs to be fixed, and should be a first priority
> item to fix in the RHL project.

It is one of the reasons for the project.

> Whether that requires new priorization for developers, giving out CVS
> commit access, or whatever, I don't know .. but the situation MUST
> improve, and soon.

As you point out, the solution isn't necessarily obvious.  It's
also not necessarily only one thing.

One thing that comes to mind for immediate improvement (not the
only possible improvement) is that we now have this list for
development discussions -- an bug with a fix that is not acted
on can be brought up on this list for discussion.

One thing that sometimes happens in cases like this where a
developer does see the patch is that there's a subtlety that
the developer needs a bit more time to analyze than he has
available at that immediate moment, and so intends to come
back to it soon, and looses track.  Asking about a specific
patch here might be a way to remind people of forgotten bits
and provoke any necessary discussion to resolve questions.

Again, it's not a complete answer, but it might be an
improvement.

Of course, starting out by asking about every lost patch
at once wouldn't help either, for obvious reasons.  :-)

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/