ways to build a modified red hat kernel

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Aug 15 17:06:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

while trying to get modified red hat kernels to build for a project of
mine, I came across something I did not completely understand.
So I backstepped and tried to build a general Red Hat kernel with no
other modifications than the red hat patches.

Attempt 1 consisted of downloading the kernel-source RPM, going into the
/usr/src/linux-(version) tree, copying the BOOT config from configs to
.config, then running make dep modules.

The build fails for the first time while building megarac.o  After
removing this from .config, I run into the next module problem, and then
the next, and the next, and so on, I quickly gave up because I had to
take out modules I needed.

I tried this both on the original RH9 kernel-source rpm and the most
recent one.

Attempt 2 consisted of downloading the kernel src.rpm, installing that,
then just building from the installed spec file.  That seems to work a
lot better.

Now, my question.  I was under the impression that the source tree
installed by the kernel-source rpm was the same source tree as the stock
kernel tree, with all the redhat patches applied.  Is this not (or no
longer) the case ?

Why would there be a difference ? Is it reasonable for me to expect
kernel-source to build out of the box ?

Thanks
Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/