UML project for Cambridge++

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Fri Aug 15 20:17:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 06:16:35PM +0100, M A Young wrote:
> I am trying to put together a Red Hat Linux Project project to develop
> User Mode Linux aiming for inclusion in Cambridge++. I don't know how this
> is supposed to work (I am not sure anyone does yet), but I have put
> together an initial project page at
> http://toast.debian.net/~may/umlproject/index.html

This cries out for getting a working unionfs or cachefs, so that one can
use hostfs to mount the underlying system tree, and overlay the parts
that one wants to change (parts of /etc, /var).  I suppose that for now a little
copying and scripting can help.  If using Device Mapper, one can create writable
snapshots, overwrite /etc with the appropriate config, and start the UML.

I was musing on uses of UML and thought that it would be cool to
live-upgrade a service by using HA failover to a service instance running
in a UML.  Doing it with UML leverages all the high-availability work
that has already been done.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky