RHL Project Status? -- It appears stalled at the moment

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 23:47:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 06:55:53PM -0400, John Beimler wrote:
> Red Hat needs to move this project forward somehow, perhaps setting up a
>   contribution area, setting up CVS for people, or some other service to
> show that Red Hat is serious about this. I'm sure there are a number of
> people that would really like to work with Red Hat to make their
> distribution the best, only if Red Hat would let us.

We've said since day 1 that it will take time to set up the
infrastructure for external contribution. We want to plan that
infrastructure in public though, which means we can't set it up prior
to announcing the project.

We have also prioritized finishing the Cambridge release ahead of
working on the infrastructure in earnest.

One way to start participating today is to work on getting your
package into Fedora.

Another way is to start in on the infrastructure issues; simply
posting a good description of what's existing/planned for Fedora or
Debian or whatever for example would probably give us a starting
point, since not all Red Hat developers will be familiar with
everything that's out there.

I believe the key infrastructure issues to be:

 1. allow external bugzilla accounts to modify bugs
    in order to do triage; allow external default
    owners for particular components
 2. externally-accessible spec file and source repository
 3. externally-accessible build system
 4. allow external authoring of web content

One issue is already addressed, which is external development
discussion; that's this list and #rhl-devel. Granted development is
pretty boring right now since we're in feature freeze.

Havoc