RHL Project Status? -- It appears stalled at the moment

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Sat Aug 16 00:28:00 UTC 2003

Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> This is getting asked daily.

Must be on a different list, sorry, I don't subscribe to all of Red
Hat's lists.

> They are working on it. It takes time to deal with concerns from outside
> parties and the fact that there are a lot of conferences in the last
> month where people were at.
>
> Not the answer you want? So sorry.

I appreciate your polite response. Thanks for being such a good
represenative for the Red Hat Linux community.

If they weren't ready to do something about it, they shouldn't have
announced it. The conferences didn't happen on a random dates, they are
planned in advance. Red Hat should be used to working with outside
parties by now, as you know, they've been in business for ten years now
and have worked with a lot of heavy hitters.

People are looking for visible signs they are working on it. Customers
are looking, and all they see is a web site that got pulled down, and a
lot of whiners telling red hat how to run their business.

I'm not discussing this as a technical issue, but as a marketing issue.
It looks bad. People were all ready to jump in and help, and now thats
wearing off as nothing happens.

 From where I am it looks like a lot of vaopr. I want to see this work,
and I know the developers at red hat do too, but all the waiting and
thrashing is only chasing more and more people and corporate
participants away.

Peace.

john