RHL Project Status? -- It appears stalled at the moment

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Aug 16 05:00:11 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 20:07, Howard Owen wrote:
> This means that all the great engineering  they do will
> continue to benefit the broader community since the RHEL work is mostly
> GPLd.

Minor correction: All Red Hat work done on RHEL is GPL'd. In fact, all
of RHEL has source code available for download, with the sole exception
of the IBM/Sun Java implementations. I personally found it odd that Mr.
Perens chose to single out RHEL as a "Proprietary Open Source" offering,
when our competitors in the Enterprise Linux space include proprietary
applications and code, and only give what source is open to the
customers who purchase it.

Its only a little sore spot for me (no pun intended). ;)

Everyone at Red Hat is very excited about the RHLP, but our timing was a
little off, we jumped the gun a little bit. The core tenets that we
announced originally are still going to be the same, we just need to
make sure we have all our i's dotted and t's crossed.

Be patient with us, we want this to roll into full swing as much as you
do.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> SAIR LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Enterprise Architect :: http://www.redhat.com
Project Leader for Aurora Sparc Linux :: http://auroralinux.org
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot