dependency tool for RedHat

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Aug 16 16:36:44 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 10:18, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > > up2date has been available since 6.2 I believe. Do you even use Red Hat?
> >
> > up2date is not an appropriate tool for resolving dependencies.
>
> I would have to agree here.  The way up2date behaves when the
> repository is 100% correct is wonderful, but the moment there
> are missing dependencies or inconsistencies in the repository
> the user will have to unselect packages by hand until things
> work.

so I'm confused - what would you have it do when it can't find a
dependency in any of the provided repository?

Say for example some package needs libfoo.so.1.
Nothing provides that, up2date and yum and apt will all give you a big
"<shrug> I dunno, looks like you need something that provides
libfoo.so.1"

Is there another way of resolving this you can think of?

-sv