serial driver and lirc

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Aug 17 22:57:12 UTC 2003

Hi,

I would like to get lirc into the main distribution, as well as some of
the kernel modules for it.  For me personally there's only one blocker;
I have a bunch of soldered receivers that work with the COM port.

However, for that to work, the serial driver needs to be compiled as a
module.  AFAIK, in Red Hat kernels it's always compiled in.

The only thing I could think of that would require it to be compiled in,
is kernel debugging over a serial link.

Can someone tell me what would be the objections of making the serial
driver module in the mainline Red Hat kernel, so the lirc driver can be
easily provided for stock kernels ?

Thanks
Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/