serial driver and lirc

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Aug 18 15:46:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 17:12, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:57:12AM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > However, for that to work, the serial driver needs to be compiled as a
> > module.  AFAIK, in Red Hat kernels it's always compiled in.
> >
> > The only thing I could think of that would require it to be compiled in,
> > is kernel debugging over a serial link.
>
> Serial console from initial boot is in fact critical to our ability
> to debug user problems.  You have answered your own question.

major suckage then :) So, failing that, is there (I'm speaking
theoretically here, I'm not a kernel hacker) some way that the kernel
could grab serial at boot time, but release it when the boot has
finished and the rest of the system is started ? I somehow somewhere
feel that this might be possible :) If it is, would something like that
be considered if someone did the code ?

Thomas