Bug 69903 newt -- Why no progress?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Aug 18 19:07:20 UTC 2003

Dear Michael:

May I please point out that I ask as a user, and as a disability
professional on behalf of thousands of existing users--to say nothing of
yet more users who won't give Red Hat the time of day right now because
of issues like this?

Please pardon me if this sounds harsh, but the bug report is old. And,
the submitted fix is also not new. And, the need is profound--though you
will not see it on a monitor. You must listen to a speech synthesizer
read out the screen (or read the dots on a refreshable braille display screen) to observe the glaring problem:

Now, I happen to know that Red Hat has a capable hardware speech
synthesizer at its disposal, because I personally provided it free of charge for
testing purposes over a year ago. Why a company with millions in annual
revenue couldn't come up with $300 for a simple computer part is
something I have not previously questioned. I simply provided the part.

So, let me question the issue at hand. Has the fix been tested? What is the report? If there's a problem, wouldn't you agree we're entitled to know
about it? And, if there isn't a problem, shouldn't the fix be in?

Again, I apologize for my strident tone. I am simply unwilling to hear
this fix didn't make the cut for the next release. To my mind that would
be unconsionable on Red Hat's part given the circumstances.

So, one more time, what's been done vis a vis this bug report?