Bug 69903 newt -- Why no progress?

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 20:36:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:06:12AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Wow, Michael! That was fast. We're very happy campers over here now.

Glad to hear it!  :-)

> Thanks to you for taking this on and moving it so expeditiously and so
> effectively.

My pleasure.

> PS: The horizontal positioning would benefit braille displays and people
> using software based magnification. The reason is that no braille
> display (or magnified screen segment) can contain all the data displayed
> by the 25 X 80 display. The effect is rather like looking at the screen
> through a soda straw. One uses smart scrolling strategies to move the
> straw around and get the information. Therefore, you want to park the
> cursor where the most important information is.

I'm simply in awe of anyone who can keep track of so much context
while "looking through a straw".  :-)

The change in horizontal position in question is one position, but
I suppose (without direct experience) that if the cursor is positioned
off the word, that a screen reader in particular might not know that
the word needed to be read...

> That's the theory. I am only presuming that Mario Lang, the maintainer
> of brltty and of accessibility for Debian, did the job right. I do trust
> him, though.

Again, not blame, just describing process:

That was one of the other missing pieces -- the bug report (I know,
hard to read through the soda straw, but Dave is working on improving
bugzilla's accessibility) doesn't have any information associating
the patch with Mario, so I had no way of knowing to ask him about it.

In any case, this is useful not only for visually impaired users,
but also for anyone doing an installation over serial, because it
uses VT100 without color and it's always been difficult even for
users with perfect vision to do those installs because of the exact
same problem; the cursor is simply in the wrong place.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/