feature request: additional IPs assign to real device via ip addr add

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Aug 21 06:37:44 UTC 2003

I think this discussion should go rhl-devel list.   Please send the
followups only there.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> I would like a feature for setting up additional IPs to a real device by
> just giving it a list of IPs. Well, I know it is possible to use aliased
> devices, but that is not often neccessary, even more work. And those
> aliased devices are not usable by iptables rules as device instructions.
>
> In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup the real device is already set up by
> the command "ip addr add". So it would be nice to give the script just a
> list of IPs to be added to the real device. It could be done by a variable
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX in which the administrator will
> just put the space separated list of additional IPs.

Note that this is how it's done with IPv6.

A problem, at least in the past, was that ifconfig(8) would not show these
addresses at all.  I'm not sure if that has been fixed.

Anyone remember the details of this case?

Personally I also think that the concept of alias interfaces is a bit
obsolete.