UML project for Cambridge++ (update 1)

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 19:10:37 UTC 2003

This is the first of an intended weekly update on this project.

I have had several problems getting a working uml kernel, but there is now
a kernel available to test from the directory
http://toast.debian.net/~may/umlproject/unpackaged/
which will work in at least some circumstances.

It doesn't work with a severn host kernel, (this message
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=user-mode-linux-devel&m=106156343822138&w=2
may explain why), and crashes later in the boot with a 2.6.0 host kernel.
It does work more me on shrike.

It also doesn't work if the uml image has tls libraries installed, as the
2.6 uml is missing the set_thread_area and get_thread_area syscalls,
and even though I have patched the kernel to return ENOSYS rather than
crashing, glibc still doesn't cope. For the moment renaming /usr/tls or
using the i386 glibc should work.

The configuration is arjan's base i686 configuration, with some uml
options added and some options like modules, scsi and networking removed
so that the kernel compiles.

There have also been some minor updates to the website
http://toast.debian.net/~may/umlproject/

	Michael Young