linux/autoconf.h and RED_HAT_LINUX_KERNEL

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Mon Aug 25 09:07:17 UTC 2003

First, i am not a "kernel hacker".

If /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/autoconf.h is generated by "make
menuconfig" or "oldconfig", ... the news autoconf.h doesn't include
linux/rhconfig.h.

It's normal since the original autoconf.h and rhconfig.h conform with
binary Redhat kernel supply with the distribution.

If i let autoconf.h untouched, "#include <linux/autoconf.h>" define the
RED_HAD_LINUX_KERNEL macro. That's nice.

But if a use a "custom" kernel (make mrproper, make...) ,
RED_HAT_LINUX_KERNEL macro is not more defined.

This cause some trouble with alsa-driver. I try to build alsa for RH9
from freshrpms :
http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=856

Alsa's configure try to find out if a RedHat kernel is used :

  boolvar=RED_HAT_LINUX_KERNEL
  echo "$as_me:3104: checking for redhat kernel" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking for redhat kernel... $ECHO_C" >&6
  ac_save_CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$CONFIG_SND_KERNELDIR/include"
  boolchk=""
  if test "$cross_compiling" = yes; then
  echo "$as_me:3110: result: \"unknown\"" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}\"unknown\"" >&6;boolchk=""

else
  cat >conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
#line 3115 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include "$CONFIG_SND_KERNELDIR/include/linux/autoconf.h"
int main( void ) {
#ifndef $boolvar
  exit(1);
#else
  exit(0);
#endif
}
_ACEOF

This doesn't work with a custom kernel. Even with a not so custom kernel
:
$ make mrproper
$ cp configs/kernel___config .config
$ make dep

Perhaps, you can add RED_HAT_LINUX_KERNEL_SOURCE in autoconf.h and leave
RED_HAT_LINUX_KERNEL only in rhconfig.h.

--
Féliciano Matias <feliciano.matias at free.fr>