RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Mon Aug 25 12:52:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> rpc.statd and portmap aren't the exclusive domain of NIS. Both are
> enabled by default and used by NFS as client or server. I think they
> could be disabled by default instead of being enabled by default.

sgi_fam is an RPC service and needs portmap and is used, i think, by
some of the GUI stuff (eg nautilus). portmap needs to be locally
accessible.

i do think portmap and rpc.statd should be firewalled off by default
though. redhat-config-nfs or similar could enable portmap access if
nfs mounts are configured.

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that carries any
reward.
		-- John Maynard Keynes