Athlon 64 support?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Mon Aug 25 17:08:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:54:18 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 03:52, Dee-Ann LeBlanc wrote:
>> I understand that Red Hat is planning to support Athlon 64 machines
>> specifically in the Enterprise line? Is this correct? (I'm not bashing
>> or judging, just confirming a fact. :)
>
>Supporting Athlon 64 in the Enterprise line only would be daft, as
>Athlon 64 is a consumer chip.  Perhaps you meant Opteron, the
>server/workstation AMD64 CPU?  But speaking of Athlon 64, will a
>consumer RHL project release be made for it?

The Enterprise line does have AMD64 version for the next release
(which is currently in beta - named taroon).

Red Hat Linux 10 (currently in beta - severn) supports IA32 (Pentium,
PII, PIII, PIV, Athlon) only.

It is expected as the Red Hat Linux Project gets going the community
will provide an AMD64 version in the future.