RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Mon Aug 25 18:23:03 UTC 2003

> > So I see no reason what so ever to turn off portmapper. Lets not make
> > a system more difficult to deal with for simply no reason...
>
> I agree. It makes "client usage" much easier and servers should anyway
> get protection via firewalls and special security changes.

And Microsoft issued fixes for the exploited holes a long time ago.

You'd be amazed at how many of my customers don't realize the need for a
firewall. Some of them became my customers because they did an
"everything" install and put the box right on the net. I agree, that's
just an absurd thing to do. The fact remains, they do do it.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com