RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Mon Aug 25 19:03:04 UTC 2003

> >You'd be amazed at how many of my customers don't realize the need for a
> >firewall. Some of them became my customers because they did an
> >"everything" install and put the box right on the net. I agree, that's
> >just an absurd thing to do. The fact remains, they do do it.
>
> So are support to try to build a systems that are idiot proof?  I would
> say not... If someone neglect to lock their front door and is robbed, is
> that the builders fault because he didn't install automatic locking
> doors?

No, it's absurd to say that we should build something idiot proof. My
point is that even when the fixes are in, people just don't apply them.

> Firewalls is the best way to deal with network security.... and there no
> system configuration that we can do to change that fact...

I think we're in violent agreement here...

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com