RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Mon Aug 25 19:40:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 20:39, Steve Dickson wrote:

> So are support to try to build a systems that are idiot proof?  I would
> say not... If someone neglect to lock their front door and is robbed,
> is that the builders fault because he didn't install automatic locking
> doors?

Of course no, but we need to build idiot-proof doors. In security I
think that "you'd better disable it if you don't know for sure if you're
going to use it" is the way to go.

We all should run firewalls, we all should run antivirus, we all
shouldn't open attachments from unknown parties... and so on, but *we*
doesn't mean the whole world. Thus, we must build idiot-proof systems,
with high security enabled by default, if we don't want to become News
Headlines (i.e. Another Worm Exploits a Vulnerability in Red Hat Linux
Portmap Daemon).

Just my 0,0172 Euros.