Athlon 64 support?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Tue Aug 26 02:21:07 UTC 2003

On 25 Aug 2003 12:42:07 -0700, you wrote:

>Actually, someone didn't do enough reading before she posted that. I am
>indeed asking about support for the Athlon 64, which indeed Red Hat has
>not made a public statement on at all as far as I can tell. So now my
>question is whether Athlon 64 support is going to be bundled in with the
>main RHLP or a separate one. :)

As far as the CPU instruction set is concerned Athlon64 and Opteron
are identical as they are both AMD64 processors.

So the OS won't care whether you have an Opteron or Athlon64.

At some point in the future there likely will be an AMD64 version of
RHLP, as the community will likely build it if necessary.  However
this won't happen in time for the release of Red Hat 10 given that
Athlon64 is not yet available, and reportedly won't be available in
volume for many months yet.

However the normal version of Red Hat 9/10/etc. will work fine on an
Athlon64 machine albeit without support for the new features of the
AMD64 architecture (no 64bit stuff, no additional registers, etc).