RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Aug 26 05:47:53 UTC 2003

Quoting Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>:

> Jim Wildman (jim at rossberry.com) said:
> > I agree with Alex.  If nfs is being used, it is because there is a
> > knowledgeable person around to set it up.  (Is there a client included
> > by default with MS systems?).  Better to have it off and close one
> > more potential hole.
>
> Counterargument: If the default firewall that already protects you
> is changed, it is because there is a knowledgeable person that changed
> it, right?
>
> You can't have it both ways.

The difference is that enabling/disabling firewall is a single click of mouse in
the installer in all of the installation modes and IIRC anaconda doesn't nag
about dangers of disabling the fw in any way (apart from help text perhaps) ->
you don't need much knowledge to disable that, but you do need a little bit of
knowledge to turn on services post install.

I'd have to agree with Alex & others: most home users are not going to use/need
NFS and where NFS servers exist, there exists knowledgeable persons to set the
clients up. My +1 for disabling NFS client services by default.

--
    - Panu -