RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Aug 26 20:01:34 UTC 2003

> > Agreed. Samba uses SMB locking semantics and NFS uses POSIX locking
> > semantics. Don't call a plumber to do your brain surgery...
>
> We can care about POSIX locking sematics.  But do you really think the
> small businesses care about it too?

Nope, not one single bit. They wouldn't know POSIX if it jumped out of the
toilet while they were sitting on it.

>From personal experience, what they do know is that NFS is for UNIX<->UNIX
file sharing and SAMBA is for *<->WINDOWS file sharing (and printing).
Inevitably the question comes up, "why can't we use just one or the
other". I've posed this question directly to Jeremy Allison and he echoed
the usual response that the behaviour is not predictable due to said
locking semantics.

In the end, the brain surgery and plumber analogy usually gets the point
across.

> They often had a mixed environment for some time (or still have it) so
> Samba was necessary, and once Samba works, they will hardly replace it
> with NFS.

No reason to replace SAMBA with NFS. They work fine together. Just be
aware that using 100% one or the other will lead to unpredictable results.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com