RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 20:57:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Portmapper has been around quite a long time making it pretty bullet
> proof... So I see no reason what so ever to turn off portmapper.

General paranoia sounds like a legitimate enough reason
to me.

> Lets not make a system more difficult to deal with for simply no
> reason...

Meaning we should start the portmapper as soon as we start
some service that needs it and not start the portmapper if
it's not needed.

If we can determine and configure this automagically, I
don't see how we'd be making life harder for anyone.