RH Taroon Beta Open Ports

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 02:23:39 UTC 2003

I also think minimal ports should be the default.  Maybe adding some
inteligence to the scripts or redhat-config-services to allow know that
if you start NFS you also need to start portmapper.  Maybe
by adding a requires flag to the NFS init script.

Why do we have a bias towards the machine being a server machine?
If we argue that we should start portmapper because alot of Unix
machines use it to intercommunicate,
the same argument could be used for other protocols like FTP, Telnet,
samba ...

A machine should be running minimal services to start and then make it
easy for the user to start up services.
Interaction between tools like redhat-config-services and the firewall
would be nice.

Dan