Question about installing Oracle 9i Rel2 on RH AS 3.0

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 20:11:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Andy Kar wrote:

> I got your name from the RHAT beta list. I saw that you've successfully
> installed Ora 9i on RH 3.0. I've tried to install it but keep getting
> errors. Do you have a procedure or doc about installing Orac9i on RH 3.0 ?

Not quite, but I have installed the 9ias mid tier on RedHat 9, and have
played with installing ocsv2 mid tier on severn, so some of the same
tricks may work. I know about the following problems,

1. OUI2.3 worked on severn did with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 set though it
may complain at the os version, use the -ignoreSysPrereqs flag if it does.
With other OUI versions you may need to replace the java software - copy
oraparam.ini to a writable location and edit the JRE_LOCATION to point to
a recent java version, eg. Sun's 1.4.2. Then run
runInstaller --paramFile oraparam.ini.copy
If you have this problem, you may also need to replace oracle installed
1.3.1 or 1.4 java (eg. at the end of disk 1)

2. Oracle links against various internal glibc and gcc symbols. You can
build a ctype library at the first linking error in $ORACLE_HOME/lib by
getting
http://intel.forums.liveworld.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/121-5821-19468-493/ctype.c
and running
gcc -c ctype.c ctype.o
ar cr libctype.a ctype.o
Then append to sysliblist (possibly with version corrections)
-lctype -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/ -lgcc
then run bin/genclntsh (with $ORACLE_HOME set) and press retry on
the error.

3. Some parts use errno incorrectly, but you can use the same library
trick by creating a file errno.c with the single line
int errno=0;
build a library as above and edit the appropriate makefile to use it.

4. forms, reports etc., expect version 2 the libXm library,
but the version 3 one in /usr/X11R6/lib/ should work, create a symbolic
link called libXm.so.2 to it in $ORACLE_HOME/lib , and edit the
appropriate makefile to use it, then press retry on the error.

I hope this is useful.

        Michael Young