FC1 tag in ethereal-0.9.16-2.FC1.1.i386.rpm

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 18:27:31 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:34:09PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:20:28PM -0500, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:44:13PM -0500, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> > Sorry, I think I was operating on insufficient context.  I was
> > stuck in the base distribution -- Fedora Core, not third party
> > repositories.  Please excuse that...
>
> Even within the Red Hat ecosystem a standardized way to tag concurrent
> versions for different distros would not hurt. Currently it is really
> up to the (redhat.com) packager to decide on versioning. This freedom
> is sometimes used like an artistic freedom (yes, packagers are artists ;)

We put any tags far enough down in the revision number not to generate
any need for epoch.  We basically use suficiently consistent revision
numbers, and then put any additional information beyond them off at the
very end of the string, and they add information without creating an
epoch problem.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/