new leadership draft being posted...

Adam Debus rhl at reachone.com
Mon Dec 1 23:56:51 UTC 2003

> What makes me curious is the intense RedHat involvement from the top.  I
> understand that this project is funded by RedHat, but it's going to raise
> some complaints from the community.  I deal with Debian developers on a
> daily basis and their biggest complaint seems to be the heavy RedHat
> involvement.  I don't think this is all bad (I get the impression RedHat
> has a clue), but it may be wise to bring a few non RedHat people onto the
> Steering Commitee.  This would help mitigate any complaints from some of
> the more "left" community members we'll say :)

    It's worth pointing out that at the moment, it's difficult to put anyone
else there. As has been said a few times before, many of the procedures that
goes into making Fedora are still very much, from both a technical and
political standpoint, RedHat proprietary. And are the same, or are extremely
similar, to the building that gets done for RHEL. For what it's worth,
Fedora, as a project of it's own, has only been around since September. And
at the time it happened, very much smelled of a decision that had happened
3-4 days before it was announced. The political side was there, but the
technical side is going to need quite a bit of time to de-integrate itself
from RHEL.

    I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some non-RedHat people on the
Steering Committee, but at the moment, I don't think there are many, if any,
non-RedHat people who can step into that role. Too much of the finer detail
is still being worked out.

    And not to stir the fires of inter-distro flame wars, but I suspect that
how the core Debian developers feel about how Fedora is being run is fairly
low on the "to be worried about" list of most of the people on this list.

Thanks,

Adam Debus
Network Engineer, ReachONE Internet
adam at reachone.com
* Opinions expressed in this e-mail are not necessarially the opinions of my
company.