Fedora LiveCD : Looking for Betatesters - Port of redhat 9.0base to fedora core 1

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Dec 2 14:52:10 UTC 2003

Colin Charles:
>Hmm, Debian is a USA based project, and Knoppix, it's spin-off is
>based in Germany.

The KEY to this statement of fact is that Knoppix is spelled differently
than Debian, and I would hope Knoppix refrains from using Debian's
trademarks and logos inside the Knoppix isos. There is more than enough
room for a derivative work that begins with software provided by Fedora
to create a liveCD that is legal in other countries. BUT, it should not
use trademarked Fedora images or logos. In fact if you read through the
trademark guidelines at fedora.redhat.com ... I'm really not sure that
you should use the Fedora name associated at all, even to say its a
derivative work, with a livecd that is rolled up outside of the
'official' structure.
What if the LiveCD I roll up..totally sucks? I assure you it would.
Should I be allowed to say that its based on Fedora Core? I don't think
so, because my crappy attempt at liveCD building would tarnish the
official work done as part of the official Fedora community effort.  And
don't try to argue that people using and reviewing my crappy little
liveCD should know better than to link the very bad craftmanship of MY
customized work to the craftsmanship of the Fedora project in general.
In an effort to avoid tarnishing the reputation of the Fedora name...i
should NOT be allowed to use or even to refer to Fedora when advertising
my co-mingled customized liveCD image. In fact... i would suggest(from a
fairplay point of view) that ALL custom liveCD's should have to live
outside the allowable usage of the Fedora trademarks because the liveCD
distribution format makes it very difficult to distiguish what is
customized and what is original Fedora craftsmanship. Which is very
different than something like an OEM pre-install, where the OEM can give
the customer a set of Fedora Core disks as well as a seperate piece of
media for the OEM addon packages making up the full OEM pre-install of
Fedora.

Of course pulling out ALL the text that refers to the distro as
Fedora(not to mention all the lingering Red Hat references) is probably
a non trivial task at the moment....maybe there is room in the
continuing dialog for an official liveCD image, but somehow i doubt an
officially blessed liveCD image would fill the niche well, considering
the non-technical limitations being 'officially' blessed would carry.

-jef"if the point of a liveCD is to demo a distro...but the liveCD ends
up having many custom features the base distro does not have like ntfs
support...what's the point again?"spaleta