Red Carpet ?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Dec 3 17:37:45 UTC 2003

The number one advantage of red carpet is the use of channels.  This
means you can actively browse a channel for software and just install
the one package from there plus it's dependencies, but it doesn't lock
you into that channel for the future.

In practice this means that, for example, I could have gotten the latest
gaim rpm from updates-testing without having to chain my whole system to
testing.

I understand apt allows something called pinning but I have never had
the courage to configure it :) red-carpet makes stuff like this dead
easy.

Thomas