Self Introduction: Mike Avery

Mike Avery avery at loran.com
Wed Dec 3 18:42:45 UTC 2003

Following the suggestion at http://www.fedora.us/wiki/SelfIntroduction
Here is my info!  I'm answering the questions posted at the page above..

Mike Avery
Ottawa, Canada
IT Manager
Can't post Company name in public

I'd like to help out with the system-config tools.  I've send a note to
Brent regarding creation of a system-config-nis.  I have begun work on
this now.

My goal in contributing to The Fedora Project is aiding in the creation
and refinement of powerful but intuitive tools for both GUI and CLI users.

I'd like to see system-config-nis incorporated in the stable Fedora
releases eventually.  I'd also like to get involved in lower level
systems programing for Fedora, but I'll get my feet wet with something
new first.

I don't mind doing QA as time permits.

Here come the qualifications since I have to list them..

I have been a UNIX administrator for 11 years.  I've used Linux and
other free operating systems anywhere possible (exclusively when
possible) since 1994. Same goes for the software that runs on those systems.

I have deployed and administered many flavours on several hardware
platforms.  My strength in this area has been in the development and
maintenance of UNIX development environments (GNU tools) on HP-UX,
Linux, AIX, Solaris, and BSD(s).  I can manage Windows environments as
well, although I don't enjoy doing it.

I consider myself a  lucky person, who has been paid to work with free
software for nearly 10 years.

I have contributed to the (former) UCD-SNMP project in the form of a GUI
for SNMP management of network devices.  It was an experimentation in
GUI design for me.  I still use it today, although I doubt anyone else
does :)  It can be found here:   http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/x-snmp

I have done some combat and play mechanics development for Adonthell, a
graphical RPG written in C/C++.  This work is/was experimental, but very
fun and challenging.

I have done quite a bit of work related coding.  Mostly systems
programing.  I have developed Linux/UNIX hardware detection routines for
PCI controllers, PnP, SMBios, and NICs.  This was proprietary work and
is not freely available.

I have also developed some proprietary tools for UNIX application
inventory a detection.  These are also proprietary and not available.

I have good experience in UNIX/C, somewhat less in C++.  I know several
interpreted languages (Tcl/tk, awk, shells, Python, perl, yadda yadda)
in varying degrees, although I can get what I need done in all of them.

I have used a few GUI different tool kits.  I have limited experience
with GTK, but I think my limitations at this point are syntax and
familiarity.

Why should you trust me?  Don't until convinced to.

Thanks,

Mike Avery