Fedora minimal install option

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Dec 4 10:47:25 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mako Gabor wrote:

> 03-Dec-2003 fedora-devel-list-request at redhat.com:
> > From: M A Young <m.a.young at durham.ac.uk>
> > The actually minimal install using the standard installer is about 510Mb,
> > which you get by deselecting all the optional packages at the right point,
> > though you need over 600Mb of diskspace to actually install this.
> >
> > The absolute minimum presumably consists of a handful of key packages
> > (such as kernel, glibc, initscripts) plus any dependent packages, which
> > prbably comes to 2-300 Mb, though this may be too minimal to do anything
> > with.
> >

> If I would like to create a firewall/gateway with RedHat/Fedora then I must
> install the 900MB. It is unnecessary!
> Many times the minimal install is necessary with this!

FWIW I have a P90 box with 450MB disk running FC1 as a gw/firewall..  and
diskspace isn't even tight (relatively speaking of course :) . though I
must confess it was originally installed as RH7.2 IIRC and then over time
upgraded with apt, later anacondas don't run since its got just 32MB
memory.

	- Panu -