my live cd: beta aviable ...

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 15:01:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:07:15PM +0100, Dirk Westfal wrote:
> I think i remember that around redhat 7 devfs was aviable in redhat kernels.
> If i'm right, does somebody know why it was thrown out ?

It was never there.  We used to try to build the daemon for people who
built their own kernels with devfs, but pulled even that because we
didn't test it, and if you know how to build a kernel and want to
play with devfs, you can also build the daemon...

We never added it because it was completely broken.  While many of
the Red Hat kernel hackers hated it, Al Viro probably won the prize
for hating it the most passionately, and as VFS maintainer he ought
to know.  :-)

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/